Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dave Okum's illustration of "Tafelmusik"

My friend and colleague David Okum is one of my favorite people. He teaches high-school fine arts and media studies full-time while also managing to produce several graphic novels each year, most recently for Oxford University Press. But that is not all. Do you need a wall-sized oil painting of the Battle of the Planets characters to hang behind your sofa in your livingroom? A steam-punk laser gun with working laser? A flux capacitor with sound effects? If so, Dave is your man.

I swear he does not sleep. He is like a Terminator sent back from the future, not to take away mankind’s last hope, but to bring an appreciation of graphic design and comic book art to the huddled masses. He has also published several how-to draw comics books that have found readers across the globe. Anyways, his new year’s resolution last year was to produce a drawing a day on top of his other art commitments and recently he completed a really fine illustration of my poem “Tafelmusik” which appeared in my last book The Cold Panes of Surfaces. I love it and I thought I would share it with you. (Click on the image below to see the detail)

No comments:

Post a Comment