Friday, October 16, 2009

The Contemplative, the Narrative and the Lyrical

Well, I have reluctantly joined the blogosphere after swearing off blogging for years. I am a luddite when it comes to blogging, wikis, texting, and tweets so you will have to forgive me if I just ease in slowly. Even, my students at school cannot comprehend how I can go a single day, let alone an entire high-school English class, let alone five whole minutes, without ever making use of a cell phone. They look at me with a mixture of pity and bewilderment, as if they really, truly, do not understand how I am able to function without one.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we live in changing times and as such, I feel it is time to start writing about the kind of poetry that first drew me to writing poems. The contemplative, the narrative and the lyrical. Such poems are not always in favour here in Canada but I hope to remedy that.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of blogging so I don’t imagine I will be doing much of it. I have always thought blogging in Canada was more about profile-building than about any real discusssion or dialogue between poets. The early days of Bookninja were promising when it felt like George Murray had invited over a handful of poets from across the country to hang-out in his “backyard internet fort” and talk at length about poetry. I hang out there much less now that the fort has become more of a large mall.

I suppose there are places on the web where people are still openly talking about poetry that delights them. I know Sina Queyras over at Lemonhound is really trying to keep lines of communication running, pointing to favorite poets, poems, and pop culture relics, the very things that give her pleasure, while also handing the reins to guest bloggers from time to time to write about their favorite poets or poems. I think this is admirable. I also appreciate Paul Vermeersch’s blog for introducing poets, especially young people, to books they might not otherwise have heard of and for making strong arguments with real candor for the kind of poems he enjoys reading.

As for my own blog, I intend to use this space largely to talk about those poets and poems, both American and Canadian, I find most beguiling, haunting, worldly, and poignant. I also plan to post some photos of my broadside projects, which I have been printing on my Kelsey 6 x10 letterpress, and a miscellany of antiquarian books and broadsides I have been collecting over the last fifteen years.

That’s it for now. Thanks for stopping by my little fort.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the sphere, amigo. I'll be making this a regular stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl's allowed I assume? You'll be surprised at how addictive this can be. Having a voice ain't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, girls are always allowed in my fort. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete